Monday, January 5, 2009

Rule of Life

So, it's the new year, Heavenly Father, and it seems time for me to post my Rule of Life. This is something that I'm excited about doing, actually keeping an account of the Christian disciplines and making time for each one. So, here is the plan for now, without a lot of details.

Solitude - Every morning before my wife and Gideon get up and before I go to school.

Silence - For five minutes before I start up the computer during my daily solitude time, I will simply sit and listen.

Fasting - Each Monday I will refrain from eating.

Frugality - I will spend no money without talking to Courtney about my purchase. None.

Secrecy - Each month I will try to do an act of kindness without drawing attention to myself.

Sacrifice - I will monthly try to seek the place I am gaining my security from. If it is not You, then I will seek to sacrifice that and reprioritize.

Prayer - Every morning and every evening. I will also make a prayer list, to keep my praises and requests more specific.

Submission - Once a week I will ask the guys of Exodus to keep me accountable.

Service - When something is requested of me, I will try to respond with a joyful attitude of service, not resentment and selfishness.

Worship - In any context, when someone praises You I will praise with them. I want to move past cynicism into worship.

Celebration - At Thursday lunch break I will identify all there is in my life to celebrate!

Fellowship - We will continue to meet regularly with Exodus.

Confession - Each night as Courtney prepares for bed I will review my day, and offer a prayer for forgiveness.


So these are the fourteen disciplines according to Dallas Willard. They look good to me. I am not doing them for selfish reasons, though. I want to be more like You and this gives me that opportunity, I believe. Bless my pursuit, continue to help me make the right decisions in regard to priority.

No comments: