FRIDAY 3.07.08 – MARK 10:42–45
Jesus called them together and said, “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Lord, I don't know where You are this morning. It's like suddenly all of Your presence, all of Your joy, left me. I'm not exactly sullen, depressed, and moping. But... Yesterday was really hard. Finding opportunities in my every day job and life to serve was way harder than I thought it would be. Either my eyes aren't open, or there is a whole lot less chances to be a servant than I thought.
You know, and that plays into today's reading. Rulers often lord their authority over others, but not so with us. Maybe this should be a focus for me today. I am in several places of authority. Teacher, coach, pastor. Where and when do I use my authority to help get things done. How can I instead come under people, to serve them and change their hearts? Do you still serve and not come down in authority when people are being out of line? These are questions I have about this servanthood thing.
I guess Jesus' example is one of pointing out truth. To those who claim to know, he is harsh. To those who don't claim to know, he is gentle. But Jesus was able to make those distinctions quickly, because He knew everyone's heart. Me, I don't know those details. Probably why You then told us to be servant of all, so we don't have to make those distinctions.
I'm kind of rambling on here, I guess what I'm trying to struggle through with You is how does this call to be a servant affect me daily. I want to do this, I want to be serious about Your words. Please help me to do so.
On a completely different note, thanks again for the chapel yesterday. Last minute preparations and still Your Spirit was present. There is no substitute for Your Spirit being involved in proceedings, no planning can make it arrive. I thank You for showing up and making a difference in middle schoolers lives, helping them do what is right. Please continue to show up my life as well.
Dear Lord, thank You for Your Spirit. Let it be active in me today, opening my eyes to the meaning of being a servant of all. Open my eyes for opportunities for both Exodus and myself to serve and fight against things that are injustice. Let my first reaction as a teacher change from being "How can I exercise my authority and power?" to "How can I come beneath these students and support them, helping to change their hearts?" Lord, thank You for joy. Do not let my struggle over how to live out Your Word kill the joy and hope You've given through the Lent season. My hope is rooted in the knowledge that You will help me figure this thing out, and I will be changed more into the likeness of my savior. I thank You for that change, please continue to help me live in the Spirit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment