Thursday, June 25, 2009

EXC Daily Office: But Does Not the Father Guide the Son?

So, Lord, I've been struck today as I continue to think about Deuteronomy 6 with the thoughts of passing on my passion (or lack of it) to my son. I've been reading today through my Google Reader, and there was a post about parents dealing with kids who are rebellious. One of the tips the author gave was that if you say something is important to you, you better show it, or your kids will pick up on it immediately and base their actions on your actions. Not your words.

That's why Deuteronomy is so interesting to me. Obviously, as my good friend Aaron Meares pointed out to me, the entire book of Deuteronomy is interested in how Your story gets passed through the generations. Deuteronomy 6 seems pivotal to me. "These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. IMPRESS THEM ON YOUR CHILDREN."

Impress can sound like slavery, but I certainly take that more to mean "make an impression on your children." Our children should know what is important to us. Then the verses continue with talking about the Your decrees when we walk and when we sit, tying them to our heads and forearms, writing them on our gates and doorposts. Basically surrounding our lives and the lives of our offspring with Your words.

What I've been thinking is that there are a lot of action words in this segment: talking, walking, tying, writing. The words become a part of all of our actions. That is so important in doing Your will, even from the beginning, even when You are forming Your people.

So how do I make Your words part of my actions? It's an important question because it doesn't only affect me, it affects my son. The honest truth is that what I value will become apparant to him. In my actions, even as he just begins to speak, I must show him that I love him and I love You. As I talk, walk, sit, tie and write, let me become my Father, let me become like You.

No comments: